2005-08-20

Hello world I'm back from Holiday

I'm back from hols, processed my mail backlog (1,273 messages, a new record, mostly because I forgot to unsubscribe to wiki-en before going off...), and realised I have a few things to catch up on (JAs bet in the Grauniad and Nature; the MSU papers finally coming out).

Speaking of MSU, it was interesting how little effect this earth-shattering news had on the real world: not a mention of it in the papers I was reading. Ho hum.

I did manage to get some climbing in though. Ynys Lochtyn has a seaward face, mostly a bit broken, but with some stuff steep enough to be worthwhile, though only about 20m high. The white-patched overlapped slab slightly L of centre is now called "Seal" (cos I saw one basking on a nearby rock when I finished). It goes up the slab (with some holds in the darkness on the R edge of the slab), then slightly L on the overhangs (a bit out of balance for a few moves) then up R on more broken ground. Possibly HS.

The corner in the R end of the pic goes straight up and is "Crab" (because looking down from the top I could see some down in the water. Futher off to the R out of shot is a slightly easier corner, "Dolphin", because I saw a few whilst belaying; Cardigan bay is good for dolphins), and might be S or a bit easier.

We also tried Cym Cywarch but the paths are very overgrown and we didn't find even the foot of the climb we were looking for. The valley is very beautiful though.

No comments: